PUZZLE COMPOSED: Giorgio Coniglio, April 2017.
EXPLANATION: CREATIVE CARTOGRAPHY USING ANAGRAMS
The editor has developed a type of anagram-based wordplay that involves the unscrambling of key words, and the availability of unique 2-letter postal abbreviations for each state. This construct has been used, as explained in post #16 and post #33 on this blog, for the development of 'maps' for the key words 'R-E-P-U-B-L-I-C-A-N-S', 'D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T-S', and 'P-A-L-I-N-D-R-O-M-E-S'.
The rules are as follows:
1. Form as many as possible locales which embody all the letters in the KEY WORD. The final two letters of the geographic designation must be a legitimate state postal abbreviation, e.g. ME for Maine.
2. The name of the village or town may include E. (East), N. (North) or Mt. (Mount or Mountain), but no other abbreviations are allowed.
3. The name of the town or locale must consist of only dictionary-approved words, although these may be creatively combined to simulate actual places, e.g. "Namepitch ME".
4. Constituent words used in the locale (whether combined or separate) must be unique for each state. Thus, if "Namepitch ME"is listed, credit will not be given for "Meanpitch ME" or "Name Pitch ME".
The same constituent words may however be repeated in other states. In the example below, "Hen" appears in the Maine town of Impact Hen ME, and also in the Pennsylvania village of Henmice Mt. PA.
5. Prizes may be awarded at the site-directors' whim, based on unusual performance. To compete, record your entry in the Comments Box. (No tweeting, please)
For today's CHALLENGE: HOW MANY TOWNS (FANTASY or REAL) CAN YOU DERIVE FROM THE LETTERS OF ? .....
Hint: Preliminary investigation of this problem showed that the state of Maine (abbreviated ME) was the leading area for this sentiment.
Scores are based on the total number of locales identified in the 16 relevant states.
A submission of 25 additional locales
confirms your status as a WORDPLAY STAFFMEMBER.
A submission of 40 additional locales
confirms your status as a WORDPLAY CABINET SECRETARY.
A submission of 50 additional locales
confirms your status as a WORDPLAY PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE.
The RESULTS, including the surprisingly extensive ANSWERS (more than 80 towns nationwide), will be posted in 1 month (the long time allowed for solutions in this case takes into consideration the difficulty of the task).
STAY TUNED to this Blogpost
Note, in followup May 11...
No submissions were received for this difficult puzzle as yet. Owing to the relevance of the answers to current pressing issues discussed in today's news, the answer will be posted on a separate blogpost. PLEASE SEE POST #48.